Botanical Name: Juniperus indica Bertol.
English name: Juniper
Nepali name: Dhupi
Trade name: Juniper
Flowering period: May
Parts used: Leaves and fruits
Habitat/Distribution in Nepal: 3700-4100m throughout Nepal
Principal Constituents: ?- pinene, sabinene and ?- terpinene as major components and others are camphene, β- pinene, δ-3-carene, myrcene, limonene, β-phellandrene, γ-terpinene, p-cymene, terpinolene, trans-3-ethoxy-p-menth-1-ene, campholenic aldehyde, camphor, ?-copaene, bornyl acetate, terpinen-4-ol, caryophyllene, ?-terpineol.
Juniperus indica is a large gregarious shrub, or small tree that grows up to 20 m tall with largely horizontal branching. Its leaves are dark grey-green, dimorphic, with adult plants having mostly scale-like leaves 1-3 mm long, while young plants have mostly needle-like leaves 5-8 mm long, but needle-like leaves can also be found on shaded shoots of adult plants. The leaves are borne in whorls of three on strong stout main stem shoots, and opposite pairs on thinner, slower-growing shoots. It is dioecious, with male (pollen) and female (seed) cones on separate plants. The mature seed cones are ovoid, berry-like, 6-10 mm long, glossy black, and contain a single seed; the seeds are dispersed by birds which eat the cones, digest the fleshy cone pulp, and excrete the seeds in their droppings.
Juniper Essential Oil is mostly used for its properties as an antiseptic, sudorific, antirheumatic, depurative, antispasmodic, stimulating, stomachic, astringent, carminative, diuretic, rubefacient, vulnerary and tonic substance. Juniper fruits are stomschic, durectic, emmenagogue, carminative, stimulant and used in cutaneous disease. Wood yields cedar oil and is used to cure chronic disorders of the urinogential tract. Poultice made up of needles is applied on wounds; berries are used in aphonia, laryngitis, pulmonary catarrh and asthma.
- Juniper essential oil is traditionally used to protect wounds from becoming septic or developing tetanus.
- It is used in removal of toxins like uric acid from the body. It helps to fight against rheumatism, arthritis, gout, and renal calculi, which are related to improper circulation and the accumulation of toxins in the body. This essential oil also relieves swelling.
- It relaxes muscle cramps and helps cure spasmodic cholera as well. Being an antispasmodic, it helps cure many of the other problems related with cramps or spasms.
- Its astringent properties are used to cure toothaches, stops hair loss, strengthens the grip of gums on your teeth and protects them from loosening or falling out. It also tightens loose muscles and gives a feeling of firmness, fitness and youth. This property can also be used to cure diarrhea as well.
- The essential oil of juniper cleans the blood of toxins and thus acts as a detoxifier or blood purifier. This property is also known as depurative, meaning ‘One which purifies’. It helps to remove the common toxins like uric acid, heavy metals, pollutants and certain compounds and hormones produced by the body itself. It empties the blood of these common toxins as well as other foreign toxins which get into the blood accidentally.
- Juniper oil is diuretic in nature, meaning that it promotes urination. It increases both the frequency and volume of urination. Therefore, it is very beneficial for people who are suffering from an accumulation of water in the body, or swelling due to minor or chronic renal failure. It relieves these patients by removing extra water from the body through the urine
- Juniper oil is stomachic, that is, it keeps the stomach in order and keeps it functioning well. It also helps cure stomach disorders and ulcers and ensures the proper flow of bile, gastric juices and acids into the stomach for digestion.
Its astringent blue-black seed cones (juniper berrie) are too bitter to eat raw and are usually sold dried and used to flavour meats, sauces, and stuffings. They are generally crushed before use to release their flavour. Since juniper berries have a strong taste, they should be used sparingly. They are generally used to enhance meat with a strong flavour, such as game, including game birds, or tongue. The cones are also used to flavour certain beers and gin.
We provide juniper oil in different size and shapes as per customers’ choice and requirements. We usually use aluminum bottles and glass vessel for packing. Aluminum containers and epoxy-lined metallic barrels 50gm, 100gm, 500gm, 1kg, 5kg capacities.